/* Am I A Pundit Now?: Pope John Paul II, R.I.P.

Friday, April 01, 2005

Pope John Paul II, R.I.P.

What a wrenching few days here. I am not a catholic, hell I am an atheist, but I thought the pope was great. The man knew his office and what it stood for, and did not buckle under to pressure to change it. He did not wait for the world to come to the Vatican - he went out to the world. The pope has been very frail the last few years, and this is the image we have had of him of late. But I remember when he became pope, that he was a whirlwind, an energetic man with a clear sense of mission. He came to Chicago in 1979 not long after becoming pope, and he was a rockstar. Almost literally. My friend Dave in L.A. still has his 'Pope John Paul II World Tour' tee shirt. He, Lech Walesa and Ronald Reagan were the great triumvirate that won the cold war. The world still desperately needs his type of leadership. I grieve for us and not him.

7:25 PM | | |