/* Am I A Pundit Now?: Is Your Blog 'Readable'?

Saturday, April 23, 2005

Is Your Blog 'Readable'?

Via Pejman, I discovered the Juicy Studio: Readability Test and put my blog through its wringers. Total sentences 654 Total words 5,023 Average words per Sentence 7.68 Words with 1 Syllable 3,322 Words with 2 Syllables 1,006 Words with 3 Syllables 442 Words with 4 or more Syllables 253 Percentage of word with three or more syllables 13.84% Average Syllables per Word 1.53 Gunning Fog Index 8.61 Flesch Reading Ease 69.82 Flesch-Kincaid Grade 5.43 My Gunning Fog index puts me right between the Reader's Digest and Most Popular Novels on their table of typical comparative reading sources. And, you need a 5th grade level reading ability to read my blog. Pejman was pleased that you only need a 7th grade education to read his site. I agree it is a good thing to have a lower level of readability for your blog - it leads to less confusion and a clearer message I would think. Just a funny aside, my entry here says I found this 'via Pejman'. His site says 'via Professor Bainbridge', which in turn says 'via Kevin Drum'. Interesting to see how these things get passed around.

5:04 AM | | |