/* Am I A Pundit Now?: Gulf Of Tonkin, Again.

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Gulf Of Tonkin, Again.

I have been in the war museum in Vietnam where John Kerry's picture supposedly hangs along with other 'heroes' that aided the Vietnamese in their fight against the US, but I don't remember seeing his picture there, and in any event this was back in 1990 and I was only dimly aware of who John Kerry was.

But . . . I do remember seeing two russian-made torpedoes on stands by the entrance to the museum, with a placard reading "Mark [number]Torpedoes, Identical to the Type of Torpedo Fired Upon the USS Maddux, August 04, 1964."

I forget the precise quote and model number of the weapons.

I thought it interesting that the Vietnamese actually do claim to have fired upon the US in the Gulf of Tonkin Incident, and that no one (certainly not Ted Koppel) has really asked the Vietnamese what happened.

Yet another 'parallel', real or imagined, between Vietnam and Iraq. I sincerely, truly and honestly hope that Bush can triumph completely in Iraq (duh), and that this nation can finally put a stake through the heart of this Vietnam Vampire that refuses to die.

4:24 AM | | |